The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up – Part 2
Having moved into a small house a few years ago, I did a major purge. As stated in the previous post The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, I’ve been there long enough to know what hasn’t been used since we moved and should probably go.
It’s the other part of my life which needs tidying. Marie Kondo encourages one to only keep things that give “a spark of joy.” I can’t follow her advice completely. If I only kept the clothes that give me a spark of joy, I’d go to work naked. Comfort and durability are the most important requirements for my professional wardrobe. However, I can fill my life with experiences that give me joy.
This lead me to make a list of activities and things which provide a spark of joy in my life. This list includes any and everything that popped in my head in a five minute time period.
- My daughter
- Cutting flowers from our yard so I have fresh flowers in vases around the house.
- Bacon at Whole Foods on Sunday mornings with my daughter
- Taking my daughter and friends swimming
- Spending kid free time with friends
- Volunteering with Postpartum Education and Support.
- Planting and Weeding
- Being a part of Listen To Your Mother
- Plants from my mother and grandmother’s houses which now live in my yard
- Eavesdropping on second graders’ conversations
- The color green
- Looking at dresses on www.eshakti.com
- The new Cinderella movie
- Spending time with family
- The game Apples to Apples Junior
- Entertaining friends with the ridiculous things I read on online dating profiles.
- Coffee ice cream with chocolate chips
- Home grown tomatoes
- Our house
I love my job; but I didn’t include it on the list. If I could work 35 hours a week leaving at 3 pm on Monday and Tuesday, it would truly spark joy. This would allow me five hours in the evening with ML instead of our two hour marathon of dinner, homework, bath and books.
What sparks joy in your life?